Sunday, July 22, 2012

What I want in a Mobile Phone and a Tablet...

I sit here watching companies develop "new" mobile phones and tablets that people "demand."  I want something a bit different..

Mobile Phone & Tablet

I need a phone, and I don't need a tablet, so lets start here...

First, I want a device that ... makes calls.  The phone must make calls every time I dial if I have a signal.  So I want the "innards" used to be efficient, powerful, and useful.  I don't the manufacturer to use any chip that has been suggested to be "a problem."  Issues with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is just one reason (See here).

Second, I want a battery that lets me do anything I want to do if I need to do it on the phone.  The Motorola Razr Maxx is the perfect battery device.  The 3300mAh capacity of the MAXX battery should be a minimum for use, and the thin nature of the Razr MAXX shows manufacturers can accomplish a "thin" design and provide a huge battery life.  So, I'd like to see, at a minimum, a 3300 mAh battery...

Third, I want a nice screen...

  • Mobile Phone: I want my a screen with  mobile phone to have a screen between 4.5 inches and 4.8 inches as measured diagonally across the screen with resolution of at least a 720 X 1280. I don't have large hands, but the Galaxy Nexus and the SGS III fit my hand and give me a large screen.  While I won't watch many movies on my phone, I will browse the web, use maps, and use the phone to read-all helped by a larger screen.  I think 5" gets a bit too big.   would prefer to have at least 316 ppi-the Galaxy Nexus has 316 and the new iPhone 4s has 320.  A screen ration of 3:4 is fine, but I don't think I'd mind a widescreen (9:16) either.
  • Tablet: I want my tablet screen to be between 7 and 8 inches as measured diagonally across the screen with a resolution of at least 800 X 1280.  I'd prefer to have a higher resolution, and I know the 3rd generation iPad has a ppi of 264.  The Nexus 7 has a ppi of 216.  I am not using my tablet as a television or for a scientific display where I have to have enough pixels to not miss anything-I am not using my tablet to do brain surgery...  Are you?
Fourth, I'd like to see 32GB of storage memory to be standard.  Memory is cheap today, and I recall the 64K of memory would "never be used" when it was introduced with the Apple //e back in 1983.  Standard desktops and laptops come with up to 1TB these days...

Fifth, I'd like to have at least 4 GB of RAM.  Again, RAM is cheap, and I'd like to have the option of having lots of memory. I know this isn't likely to happen as 2GB was recently used in the Samsung SGS III.  One can dream...

Sixth, I'd prefer to be able to add or remove items.  Specifically, I'd like to be able to replace a battery or switch removable storage (e.g., mirco-SD).  Why do I need to do this if I have such a large battery or if the phone comes with 32 GB of memory?  I don't want to be limited if I need something I don't have on my current device.  If I am camping, I may want a second or third battery.  If I am moving data, I might want the ability to switch music, movies, etc. without having to hook the phone up to a computer.

Seventh, I'd like mobile operating system creators (Apple with iOS, Google with Android, Firefox with Firefox OS, Nokia with Meego, Blackberry OS 10, ...) to disable monitoring.  I don't want all of my usage data, my location, my personal data (contacts, movie & music lists, etc.) to be sent to anyone.  This would also save battery life.  This is where RIM/Blackberry could really hit it out of the ballpark with the new OS...

Eighth, the GPU needs to be capable.  I don't need a SLI Nvidia or a dual-chip ATI.  I do want my videos and games to play smooth with no lag or stutter caused by a chip straining to draw triangles, etc. on the screen. I don't care if it is Nvidia, Mali, or Timbucktoo... I just want it to work, and work well...

How does that sound?  Have I missed anything?  Do let me know...

If you are a manufacturer and can make a way for my tablet to use my phones internet connection like the blackberry devices, do let me know so I don't have to pay my provider extra money to use my phones mobile connection with my tablet.  I'm just saying...


No comments:

Post a Comment